Friday, November 13, 2009

Image Grammar

I absolutely loved Harry Noden's Image Grammar lesson last semester. I think using visual aids to help students become better writers is very useful. I have problems getting started on writing something when I have nothing to start with. I believe that the pictures or visuals used with image grammar have to say something also. I have used certain images to assist with writing that weren't very useful. The visual didn't stimulate the writing part of my brain in the right way. Therefore, I don't think just any visual item can work the way the teacher expects it to.
I also like some of the activities that can go along with image grammar. Learning about grammar and writing doesn't always have to be sitting at a desk with paper and pencil. For example, strategy number 5 deals with students becoming detectives and solving a murder. This allows students to be involved in learning at the same time as moving around and talking with peers. Also, I would have never thought about the benefits of using a magic trick to learn concepts of grammar. This book and its ideas will definitely hold a place on my book shelves!

2 comments:

  1. I loved Image Grammar too! It is definitely a great way to teach grammar and writing! It is really neat that his approach to teaching grammar is so unique; it isn't being drilled on rules.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think visual aides are very helpful as well. I know I am sometimes more of a visually learner, so had I had image grammar when I learned grammar back in the day, I probably would be stronger at it.

    It reminds me of my test question on the PLT about how you adapt your lessons to different learners. Doing image grammar would definetly be one way to do that. Your not doing simple lecture, drill, but something that may be more meaningful and helpfull!

    ReplyDelete