Saturday, October 31, 2009

Want Your Opinion

One part of my 10-day unit is having the students create their own public service announcement based on a theme from the novel we are reading, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian by Sherman Alexie. To introduce this project, I wanted to show the students a variety of examples from PSAs already on television. I chose topics such as breast cancer, smoking, drinking, and bullying. I am not able to show one of the PSAa, and I wanted some opinions from others.
Furthermore, my cooperating teacher viewed my first PSA while trying to play the DVD I created. Her response was to let me know that I couldn't play it in school because the students would tell all their friends, and the principal would not be happy if he found out. So, watch the PSA and tell me what you think......Save the Boobs!
I questioned the value of it before deciding to add it to my collection. I wanted the students to view a variety of tactics used to make get a point across to an audience. I believe that the PSA was very weel done and creative. I have heard more conversations recently about breast cancer than I've ever heard. And most of those conversations begin with this PSA or some of the other similar tactics used. Check out their site. It's not about sexy women, it's about breast cancer. They are simply trying to make younger women, and sometimes men, think about a subject they don't realize can happen at their age, or gender.
I don't understand the objection to using it with seniors.

1 comment:

  1. I totally understand why you want to use this PSA; however, I can see where your co-op is coming from. I'd be a little nervous about showing this to any middle or high school age level, especially boys. The PSA seems to focus a little too much on breasts as a sex symbol and not enough on the aspect of breast cancer awareness.

    ReplyDelete