Friday, October 16, 2009

Modern Library Writer's Workshop

The idea that writing isn't going to be perfect as soon as the writer starts putting words on paper is inspiring. I look back at some of my own writing projects and become discouraged. If the piece that I am working on isn't exactly right, I put it aside; however, my 'aside' amounts to a very long period of time. This book recommends, "...you must sit down and write. It doesn't even really matter if you feel like writing" (5). I am known for the "I'm not in the mood to write; therefore, I can't" excuse more often than not. I also tend to be very critical of what I write and not like it very much.

Furthermore, I like how the process of writing isn't very machine-like. In a school setting, writing is a strict process with specific guidelines. The Writer's Workshop explains how the story and the characters are in control, not necessarily the writer. If the elements in the story are being shaped and created in the middle or end, that is okay! The thought of letting a character tell the story before the writer does is a new concept to me. I have always felt that I needed to be in control of everything instead of trying to become the character. The Writer's Workshop says, "To create a character is to play that character's part in your mind, and acting is a good metaphor for the process" (103).

I still want to make excuses and claim that the advice is unrealistic..lol. The book discusses time as though the writer can just make more of it whenever needed. Joyce Carol claims, "I have forced myself to begin writing when I've been utterly exhausted, when I've felt my soul as thin as a playing card, when nothing has seemed worth enduring for another five minutes...and somehow the activity of writing changes everything" (5). When my soul is that flimsy and I feel like crawling into a hole, I imagine a soft blanket around me while I'm curled up in bed, hopefully having a good dream that makes me realize I want to wake up again!!!

1 comment:

  1. I like how you put it about the characters being in control of the story and not the writer. I could imagine this being on a really awesome poster in a classroom. I think doing a cool character analysis worksheet where students create their character background before writing will give them a really great insight on how their character reacts/ responds.
    I enjoyed the book a lot and the way it develops the writer and more importantly the character!

    ReplyDelete