Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Hungry Minds

"In talking about the soup kitchen, Father Greenlaw generally does not mention Jesus. That's only natural, given the ecumenical nature of the enterprise." I know that personal and religious views are not acceptable in most public ventures, especially in schools; however, a church should be the one place where Jesus should always be mentioned. I know most people probably don't care about my views in religion, but I do believe in God and try to model that behavior for my children. On the other side, I don't like being preached to in a grocery store or hair salon for 30 minutes by someone who doesn't know me (which I've witnessed before). But in a church? That's where people go to be preached to. My personal beliefs make God responsible for the success of something like the soup kitchen.
Anyway, I think the writing workshop is a great way for some of the homeless to express their thoughts and feelings. It gives them a chance to be something other than homeless, and I don't mean becoming a classic writer and making millions of dollars. They can be writers during the workshop. They can use their creativity to take them anywhere in the world even if just in their minds. I used to write poetry to help me through some of my angry teenage years, so maybe, writing can help some of the homeless get through another tough day. And yes, the workshop has the potential to help some of those attain employment.
I wanted to read more about how the workshop itself functioned. Did they teach, what did they teach, and how? I guess I just wanted some more of those details.

1 comment:

  1. I get sick of not being able to speak about my beliefs. For someone to not be able to talk about God in a religious house is absurd. But anyways, I also want to know details about the workshop. How is it run? What activities do they do? What is some of the poetry that has come out of the workshop?

    ReplyDelete