Friday, October 16, 2009

Star Girl

I recently went to Borders on a shopping spree. I bought a few different books and this is my review:
Stargirl
This was a really great book. Even though it is for teens and young adults, I wanted to read the book from start to finish without any interruptions. I wanted to figure out who and what Stargirl was other than the enigma she seemed to be. I think it is a great book to use in high school. My first year coaching has shown me how teenagers band together based on who is who and who is wearing what and who is doing this or that. This one girl represents a part of being human that a lot of people lack today: kindness. I recommend this book to adults and teens!

I'm now working on reading Fallen Angels by Walter Dean Meyers. I have heard some of the students at my high school make positive comments on the book.

3 comments:

  1. I actually read "Stargirl" for Dowdy's class in our literature circle groups! It is a good story with a crazy twist about a girl who is a little different, yet unique from the other students.
    I can't believe you're finding the time to read what you want! I wish I could read so many high school books right now that I've never read such as Grapes of Wrath, The Great Gatsby, The Scarlett Letter, Of Mice and Men, Pride and Prejudice... and reread some of the books I have read because I can remember loving a few selections such as Farenheit 451, Watership Down, 1984, The Crucible, and Frankenstein.
    Have you read any of those that you really liked?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Stargirl over the summer and loved it! Stephanie, it is funny you mentioned reading it for Dowdy's class. After hearing rave reviews from your literature circle, I decided that I had to read it and I finally found the time this summer. I absolutely loved it! Did you know there is a squeal? I plan on reading it when the semester is over. I Stargirl is a great book for teens because it shows the truth about how cruel kids can really be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read Stargirl as well and I loved it! It definitely is a young adult story in which they can relate! I wouldn't mind teaching this book if I had seventh graders, or maybe teaching it as a literature circle book.

    ReplyDelete