Sunday, December 13, 2009

Scott McCloud

This guy absolutely loves comics! The best aspect of his book Making Comics: Storytelling Secrets of Comics, Manga and Graphic Novels was the whole book being written in comic form. Scott has a web page with supplemental information on the chapter "Tools, Techniques and Technology" that he calls chapter 5 1/2. I like the fact that the online supplement talks about color, and the reader can actually see the color. The book doesn't have any color in it.

I never really realized how much detail goes into drawing a comic. Also, I never imagined how much information and detail can be given through just the picture and not the words. For example, page 84 shows the vast array of facial features to show emotions. There are sooooo many! I would never be able to draw that many emotions on just a face without the guidance and detail Scott gives in this book.

As I was looking up Scott on the Internet, I found something he did that might be something fun to try with students. Scott and a friend had a contest to create the 24-hour comic. He describes it in detail on his site.

No comments:

Post a Comment